June is basically here! I had my eye on a particular craft book challenge that involved beading, but I didn’t get around to it. My completed project is not contained in a book, but is still part of the stash which is a component of my challenge.
Simplicity 2501 (View E) and fabric used is straight out of the collection. The pattern pieces were a tight fit given the limited amount of this fabric after adjustments. What was different about this pattern is that it comes with multiple sizes according to your bust cup. Let me tell you that didn’t mean diddly squat and I still had to do my usual bust adjustments. Oh, how disappointing!
After bust, back, and hip adjustments, I ended up with something I’m fairly pleased with. I love the ruffle detail even though the print is a little busy and hides it. I’m not pushing any fashion boundaries with this top, but it’s a start for my summer wardrobe. I just need a pant or skirt to pair it with.
On a knitting note, I have a total of 9 squares finished for my afghan. Some aren’t working out so well so I’ve changed a few of the square patterns originally selected.
I was a little misled by the colors on my monitor. My two blues don’t coordinate as well as I thought, however there is no stopping it now! Onward!
My understanding of the definition of color blocking is there are chunks (or blocks) of color sewn or pieced together in one garment. It appears that the color blocking trend has taken on new meaning. When doing a search, I find a look that could be best described as “color clashing” rather than blocking, where each garment is a different, bright color. While I like that look, that’s not where I was going with this project.
I don’t usually do trends or a particular style however, New Look 6087 looked like it would have been a great subtle (i.e. lazy) intro to the color blocking trend.
The pattern envelope detail of the top is actually two separate shirts worn together, an idea that didn’t fully dawn on me until I was actually cutting it out. Since I was too lazy to do a simple redesign, too motivated to actually sew something, and not wanting to give up altogether, I just ran with it as it was. I needed the sewing practice and I didn’t want to toss out all of that wonderful fabric: Interlock. There seriously is no substitute for nice, drapey jersey.
The side ruching helps minimize the distorted, puckered hem that always seems to occur when sewing this fabric. All seams were neatly finished with a zig zag stitch which works better than a straight, machine hem. I think I’ll at least go back and attach the two shirts at the right under arm edge so that the two shirts can stay even in the front. It’s done and I’m moving on with a little less Interlock fabric in the stash. YAY!